There are certain things that you expect to inherit from your folks:
- your height
- your eye color
- your ridiculous amounts of hair from the neck up (I have a confession: In the perfect world, I would have a budget line for a weekly eyebrow waxing obsession. I know – TMI. Moving on…)
However, you don’t expect the inability to spell to be one of these things. My mom is an average speller, but my dad is horrible. When my previously mentioned friend Erin used to call the house, the notes he’d leave would say “Aaron called at 6PM”. Unfortunately, both my brother and I succumbed to the LaVecchia curse and could never make it out of the first round of a spelling bee.
On top of it, I sabotaged myself at the ripe age eight. I was far too busy to be bothered with actually doing my Phonics homework – there were episodes of Full House to watch, for God’s sake! I knew my Phonics teacher would review the answers before asking her students to hand in their homework to be graded. So what did I do? I just filled in the answers as she told them to the class. Sure, I struggled to get through my weekly spelling tests, but I had an A on every workbook assignment!
To my third grade teacher Mrs. Ward – I apologize for my sneaky behavior.
So as it turns out, my own sabotage combined with my inheritance has led me to today’s edition of:
TEN THINGS THIS TUESDAY: TEN WORDS I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO SPELL CORRECTLY
I have provided the dictionary.com link for each word for your additional knowledge. Let’s get spelling…
1. Bulletin: This should be an easy one, but I can’t seem to remember to just separate the word in to “bullet” and “in”. I end up with far too many I’s & E’s and not enough event flyers being posted on the community board in your local Panera Bread.
2. Caesar: And I thought I stopped ordering them because of their calorie content: the name sake of the popular Americanized salad is another one that trips me up. The “s” always is in the wrong place.
3. Lorain: For those of your outside of the Northeast Ohio area, Lorain County is the county just West of Cuyahoga County, where Cleveland is located. My upcoming event is in Lorain County, so my batting average on this word is climbing slowly. Now if I just can remember “Elyria”…
4. Bandana: In commenting on Morgan’s BlogHer recap post at Life After Bagels today, I realized I couldn’t spell this word. My new trick to remembering: think of a banana with a headband. Ridiculous, I know.
5. Retriever: As much as I post pictures of Grady, you think I could remember the old “I before E” rule. Imagine a post about him coming home from the groomers: I’d have to mentioned retrievers AND bandanas! It would be a spelling disaster!
6. Appetizer: I’m an event planner. I specifically plan events where small samples of food are served. Isn’t that the definition of an appetizer?! You think by now I would know this one! And of course this goes without saying, I also cannot spell its counterpart, “hors d’oeuvre”. But really, who can?
7. Maintenance: This should be another simple one to remember when you break it down: main – ten – ance. Let’s see if that helps me remember…
8. Pronunciation: Forget spelling it – I can’t even pronounce “pronunciation” correctly. Damn you phonics class.
9. Jewelry: Considering my fourth wedding anniversary is coming up next month, I better learn how to spell this word if I plan to give the hubby any hints on a present for his lovely wife!
10. Convenience: No matter what day, time, place – I am convinced that I will NEVER EVER be able to spell this word. Far too many I’s, E’s and N’s. I give up.
Any tips you can share with me to improve this skill? What word always gets your spell checker underlining your documents in red?