On my birthday, I presented my To Do list for my 27th year of life. Now that I’m back from vacation, it’s time to get moving on that list.
While on our hike of Red Rock Canyon just outside of Las Vegas (full recap to come tomorrow!), my Aunt Linda told us about when she ran the Paris Marathon in 2004. She did ALL of her training on a treadmill. Her longest run was 23 miles one afternoon! She is considering running another half-marathon. Knowing my want to become a more consistent runner, she said to me, “if you run a half, I’ll do it with you.”
Well, I’m not ready for a half quite yet. But this does bring us to the first thing on the To Do list: Rock a 5K before Labor Day.
I’ve done my searching and have found a solid selection for this attempt at a 5K: The 16th Annual Cleveland Clinic 5K Run/Walk to A Healthier You on Saturday, August 7, 2010.
Here are my reasons for selecting this race:
- It is just over one month away. Far enough away to train, close enough to keep focused.
- The race itself starts at 8:30 AM. I’ll be able to wake up at my normal time, eat a snack and get to the race without feeling rushed.
- Running this race is benefiting more than myself with proceeds to benefit South Hills Lend-A-Hand Charity of Independence
- The location is close to my house. That 5K I signed up for in April was about a twenty minute drive away. This is barely five minutes from my house. I’ll consider myself UBER pathetic for using that excuse this time.
- The course itself is suburbia at its finest. Starting at the city’s civic center, you start by running thru a park, then thru the city’s town square, thru a part of the neighborhoods before reentering the park and back to the civic center. It will be a nice assortment of visuals to keep me distracted!
- If I make it to the end, we can celebrate by going to breakfast at Yours Truly!
- If this one goes well, it give me lots of options for the rest of the season to sign up for!
Wish me luck! What are your fitness goals for the rest of the summer?