This past Wednesday morning, I was enjoying my bowl of savory oats when I suddenly screamed at the top of my lungs while sitting at the kitchen table. I freaked Hans out so much that I caused him to break the yolks in the sunny side eggs he was making himself for breakfast! But you could only imagine my joy: I discovered I won another blog giveaway!
Dave over at Live to Cook…At Home never heard from the original winners of his Viking Cooking School giveaway sponsored by Heinen’s. He decided to randomly select two new names to receive a gift certificate good for two people to take a cooking class from their Culinary Program. Second time was the charm for me!
From Viking’s website: Our Culinary Program offers a variety of subjects for everyone and at times that are convenient for you. Whether you like to get your hands dirty or sit back and let us do the work; and whether you want to learn about pizzas or pasta, ethnic cuisines or backyard grilling, we have the class that’s right for you.
Our hands-on classes give you an opportunity to get your hands dirty. Working closely with an instructor and using the finest Viking professional appliances, cookware and cutlery, you and a small group of classmates learn cooking techniques by actually preparing the menu items… Personal recipes packets are provided for students to take home. Each class concludes with a review of the techniques with the Instructor, while enjoying a sampling of the dishes prepared in the class along with a beverage.
I did offer Hans the chance to attend, but he felt that my mom would enjoy the experience more. (ANOTHER VOTE FOR BEST SON-IN-LAW EVER.) I’m excited for a mother/daughter journey to culinary glory! Now the dilemma: picking which class to attend!
I browsed the Culinary Programs class offerings online and these four options stood out to me:
Superfoods Wine Dinner from Wine and Cheese:
- Black Bean and Roasted Red Pepper Frittata Served with Spinach Salad with Avocados, Marinated Red Onions and Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette Paired with Dry Rosé
- Pecan-Crusted Wild Salmon; Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Streusel Topping; Citrusy Green Beans; and Sautéed Wild Mushrooms with Garlic Paired with Dry Rosé and Pinot Noir
- Honey-Poached Pears with Raspberry Sauce and Lemon-Almond Cookies Paired with Demi-Sec Sparkling Wine and Framboise
The Chef’s Table: Girls’ Night Out: At the Casbah from The Chef’s Table Culinary Experience
- Lettuce-Wrapped Moroccan Meatballs with Fresh Tomato Salad and Yogurt
- Lemon-Chicken Tagine
- Ginger-Scented Saffron Rice
- Almond Paste Phyllo “Cigars”
- Sample Recipes: Hummus with Spicy Pita Chips; Moroccan Mint Tea
- Bonus Recipe: Rockin’ Moroccan Cocktails
Girls’ Night Out: In Vegas from Girls’ Night Out
- Emeril’s New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp served with a Petite Rosemary Biscuit from Emeril’s New Orleans Fish House at MGM Grand
- Bobby Flay’s Grilled Fennel-Spiced Pork Chops with Lemon-Sage Vinaigrette and Grilled Asparagus from Mesa Grill at Caesar’s Palace
- Stone-Ground Goat Cheese Grits from Commander’s Palace at The Aladdin
- Sample Recipe: Charlie Palmer’s Chocolate & Peanut Butter Ganache Tart from Aureole at Mandalay Bay
- Bonus Recipe: Emeril’s Café Brûlot from Delmonico Steakhouse at The Venetian Resort Hotel & Casino
Mediterranean Grill from Grilling and Barbecuing
- Mediterranean Grilled Shrimp with White Bean Hummus
- Turkish Chicken Kebabs over Tabouli Salad with Grilled Sweet Peppers
- Greek Lamb Loin Chops with Fresh Mint and Garlic
- Sample Recipes: Baba Ghanouj with Grilled Pita Bread; Zabaglione Gelato
- Bonus Recipe: Quick White Beans
This is going to be a hard decision! Which would you choose? I hope my mom is more decisive than I am in making this choice!
SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO: Chinato review on the way, but The Greenhouse Tavern will have to wait. Sometimes a glorious lunch meeting needs to be rescheduled to a low key teleconference instead 😦